Last updated on April 6, 2018
Send messages that encourage customers to come back to your store when they add items to their shopping cart but don’t complete a purchase. At this time, abandoned cart workflows are compatible with BigCommerce, Shopify, Volusion and WooCommerce shopping carts.
- Login to your Vextras account
- Click the ‘Add New’ in the bottom left corner
- Select ‘Add Workflow’
- Select ‘Transactional’
- Choose ‘Abandoned Cart’
- In step 1, toggle desired settings
- Add any optional advanced settings in step 2
- In step 3 of the wizard, edit the name, email and subject customers will see when the message arrives
- Choose a starter template to send, or add content using the WYSIWYG editor
- Confirm your settings in step 4 of the wizard
- Activate and finish the workflow
The overview dashboard will show all-time historical stats for the workflow, no matter if rules have been deleted.
- Messages pending – count for pending e-mails that are scheduled to be sent
- Messages sent – count for sent messages
- Opens – number of times messages have been opened
- Clicks – number of times messages have been clicked
- Conversions – number of conversions resulting from this type of workflow
- Revenue – total sales attributed to this type of workflow
- Activity chart – weekly view of sent messages
- Workflow name – the “friendly name” for your workflow, customers will not see this
- Sending filter – send to all customers or only those who have opted in or registered in your store
- Cart age – the maximum abandoned cart age that can be set is 14 days (or 2 weeks)
- Product Filter – only trigger an abandoned cart rule when a certain product is added to a cart. Please note, if you have a filter set and a general abandoned cart rule configured, the most specific rule will fire when there is a match.
- New customers only – only trigger abandoned carts to non-customers
- Don’t repeat emails – prevent messages from going out more than once during a block of time – no matter how many abandoned carts a customer has had in the specified period.
Multiple “drip” emails are supported and can be used to prompt buyers to purchase if they don’t convert from previously triggered abandoned cart messages.
- You may create as many drip rules as necessary.
- Each rule functions independently of each other. For example, if you have three rules created it follows the specific logic inside each rule i.e. 1 day, 3 day, 5 day triggers etc.
- If a customer converts from a drip message, our system automatically flushes out any remaining messages that are scheduled to send later. For example, if a customer buys from the second drip in a series of three, the third message will be removed from the pending email queue.
Example Drip Campaign Rule Setup
The logs area of this workflow will display log events between specific date ranges.
- Live carts – displays active carts on the store in real-time. If a user’s email is captured and doesn’t make a purchase, they will be moved into the ‘Pending’ queue ten minutes later.
- Pending – shows messages that validated based on rule criteria and are scheduled to be sent
- Sent – shows information about messages that have been sent as a result of an abandoned cart
- Conversions – displays relevant conversions as a result of a workflow message triggering
- Abandoned carts are captured in real-time for any email address
- Rules will trigger for current customers or non-customers
- If you are using a Volusion template, we do not use email addresses stored in their abandoned cart system.
- We only capture abandoned carts when a user enters an email, but don’t complete a checkout
- “Live carts” are collected in real-time in your logs area. If a customer doesn’t complete a transaction within 10 minutes of adding their email address at checkout, it will move to the “Pending” queue.
- If you have two abandoned cart rules that have the exact same settings, the rule that was created last will trigger
- If you have a product filter set and a general abandoned cart rule configured, the most specific rule will fire when there is a match
- When abandoned cart functionality is activated, it may take up to 48 hours before information starts being collected from your store
- If you send a test message during workflow editing, the checkout button will not link back to an actual abandoned cart. The test message is only designed to give a visual example of what the abandoned cart email will look like.
- Abandoned carts will not trigger for stores that do not have SKU’s loaded for products.
- If product images are hosted with a 3rd party, we are not able to render these in the abandoned cart snippet.
- For Volusion stores, if a customer abandons their cart on one device and tries to checkout on another, the cart will not contain any contents.
- For example, let’s suppose your customer uses their desktop computer to checkout initially, and then abandons. If a workflow rules triggers an abandoned cart notification a few hours later, and they subsequently open it on their iPad, their click through will not show any cart contents.
- The only time cart contents will load for Volusion stores is when the user abandons and clicks through on the same device.
- Shopify and WooCommerce will show cart contents no matter where the user clicks through on an abandoned cart email.